You know what they say, “An apple a day helps to keep the wrinkles at bay”! Apples are a great fruit to add to your beauty regimen and an excellent source of skin food. Apples are loaded with water and Vitamin E which helps keep skin soft, hydrated and supple. They are full of Vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant, which reduces free-radicals caused by pollution or excess sun exposure. Apples are a rich source of polyphenols. They contain elastin and collagen that help keep the skin young.
Apples are a source of copper, an essential mineral that contributes to healthy skin. They also have small amounts of skin-brightening Vitamin A (from the family of retinoids), which helps build healthy skin.
If you have any extra apples at home or would like to bake something new, try making this Beauty Boosting Baked Cinnamon Apple Crisp and get your dose of apples for today. You won’t believe this recipe is both gluten and refined sugar-free with vegan alternatives! This recipe is the perfect dessert for the fall or any time of the year.
- 6 large firm apples, cored, peeled, and sliced
- 1 T. fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 c. real maple syrup
- 2 T. 100% apple juice (sugar-free)
- 1 t. ground cinnamon
- ½ t. ground allspice
- 1½ t. fresh thyme leaves
- ¼ t. salt
- 1 c. old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 c. almond flour
- 1/3 c. almonds, sliced
- 1/3 c. honey, preferably local (vegan alt: maple syrup coconut syrup)
- 3 T. unsalted butter, melted
- Place top oven rack in the center position. Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8” x 8” baking dish and set aside.
- Place apples in a large non-reactive bowl and toss with fresh lemon juice. Add maple syrup, apple juice, cinnamon, allspice, thyme leaves, and salt. Toss to combine and set aside.
- 3. Combine topping ingredients in a separate bowl and stir until oats are thoroughly coated and all ingredients are well combined. Set aside.
- Pour apple mixture into prepared baking dish and spread into an even layer. Spread the topping evenly across the top in a uniform layer, as well.
- Place into pre-heated oven and bake for 30 minutes. If the top layer is nicely browned, cover dish loosely with aluminum foil to prevent over-browning. Continue baking for another 15-20 minutes or until the apple crisp is nice and bubbling. Remove from oven and set aside to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve warm with some vanilla bean iced cream or freshly whipped cream, if desired. Enjoy! xo
Keywords: keto, vegan, dessert, sugar-free, low-sugar, apple pie, apple crisp